Your privacy is important to us.
Personal Information We may collect and hold
The type of information we may collect and hold includes Personal Information about:
- Clients, business associates and potential clients and their employees;
- Information about individuals we collect in the course of acting for clients;
- Suppliers and their employees;
- Employees, prospective employees and contractors; and
- Other people who come into contact with Hamilton Murphy.
In general, the Personal Information We may collect and hold includes name, contact details (including email address, current and previous address, telephone or mobile phone numbers), trading names, occupation, personal preferences, payment details, employment history, education and qualifications, testimonials and feedback, and other information which assists us in conducting Our business, providing and marketing Our services and meeting Our legal obligations. In some cases, We may also collect 'sensitive information', such as information about an individual's membership of a professional association.
If You do not provide Personal Information
When We collect Personal Information directly from you, you will be specifically requested to provide it. You may choose to provide any Personal Information or not. However, if you choose not to give Personal Information, We may not be able to provide you with the products and services you require.
How do We collect and hold personal information?
We will generally collect personal information:
- From you directly when you provide your details to Us;
- From you indirectly through emails, forms, face-to-face meetings, interviews, registration and attendance at seminars, business cards and telephone conversations and through use of the services and facilities available through Our website, Our Partner Link websites and, if We use them from time to time, social media channels (including Our LinkedIn channel); and
Where We hold Personal Information
We hold your Personal Information on servers located in Australia.
When We disclose Your Personal Information
We may disclose your Personal Information in circumstances where:
- You have consented or disclosure is necessary to achieve the purpose for which it was submitted;
- It can be reasonably inferred from the circumstances that you consent to your Personal Information being disclosed;
- We believe in good faith that the law requires Our disclosure of your Personal Information; or
- We have engaged third parties to provide services to you.
How We use Your Personal Information
Your personal information may be used to:
- Verify your identity;
- Conduct Our business;
- Provide the products and services you have requested or may require;
- Administer and manage the delivery or creation of products and those services, including charging, billing and collecting debts;
- Help us manage and enhance Our services;
- Purchase goods or services;
- Conduct appropriate checks for credit-worthiness and for fraud; and
- Conduct research and develop Our products and services.
Also, Your Personal Information is collected so that We, and Our business partners, can promote and market products and services to you (including by way of direct mail, telemarketing, email, SMS and MMS messages). This is to keep you informed of products, services and special offers and may continue after you cease acquiring products or services from Us.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that individuals and organisations We disclose your Personal Information to are bound by confidentiality and privacy obligations equivalent to those in Australia in relation to the protection of your Personal Information.
In the event We are obliged to disclose certain information you have provided or information relating to your use of Our services to credit reporting agencies, We will notify you in accordance with the relevant Code of Conduct and Australian privacy laws on what items of information will be disclosed for this purpose.
If at any time you do not wish Us, or Our business partners, to contact you to promote and market products, services and special offers to you, please email us at email@example.com. We will also ensure each electronic message We send (e.g. by e-mail, SMS, MMS or online instant message) includes a method that enables you to tell Us you do not want to receive future electronic marketing material.
Other Information we collect
In addition to Personal Information, We may collect information consisting of:
- Statistical information that includes those that are automatically generated from your computer or device about your general use of Our website such as traffic data, location data etc.;
- IP addresses of users that access and use Our website. We use IP addresses to assist the diagnosis of problems or support issues with Our website and to analyse the usage and traffic of Our website; and
- Any other type of information, whether personal or general, that you provide Us when you communicate with Us for any reason.
Information which is gathered for statistical purposes is in an aggregate and de-identified format which cannot be attributed to an individual user. Statistical information is not your Personal Information and We cannot identify you from such statistical data.
We will not sell or supply your Personal Information to other organisations or any third party for Direct Marketing of products or services not provided by Us. Direct Marketing means one to one marketing using your Personal Information (e.g. your name, address, email address), normally supported by a database, which uses one or more advertising media to effect a measurable response and/or messaging (spam), postal canvassing and list brokering.
We strive to ensure the security, integrity and privacy of Personal Information submitted to Our website. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be totally secure and you acknowledge and accept this risk when accessing and using Our website.
We will take reasonable steps to protect the security of Personal Information. Our personnel are required to respect the confidentiality of Personal Information and the privacy of individuals. We take reasonable steps to protect Personal Information held from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure, for example by use of physical security and restricted access to electronic records. Where we no longer require your personal information we will take reasonable steps to destroy it, subject to us retaining copies for record-keeping and back-up purposes.
Accessing Your Personal Information
We will take reasonable steps to secure your Personal Information and keep this information accurate and current. If at any time you discover that information held by Us about you is incorrect, you may contact Us at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (03) 9024 6244 to update that information.
You have a right to access your Personal Information, subject to some exceptions allowed by law. If you would like to do so, please let Us know by contacting Us on the email or phone number above.
You may be required to put your request in writing for security reasons. We reserve the right to charge a fee for searching for and providing access to your information.
Cookies and Applets
Links to other Websites
Changes to this Policy
Feedback and Comments
If you are making a complaint in relation to an alleged breach by Us of the Australian Privacy Principles, please provide all relevant details to allow Us to assess the complaint. Most issues should be able to be addressed at the first point of contact. If it takes longer:
- Relevant details of the complaint will be recorded and passed on to an appropriate person for action;
- Your complaint will be acknowledged either by telephone or in writing;
- You will be kept informed of the progress of the investigation; and
- We will aim to resolve your complaint within 10–15 business days.
If We are unable to satisfactorily resolve your concerns about Our handling of your Personal Information, you can contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner:
GPO Box 5218
Sydney NSW 2001
Tel: 1300 363 992
Local Privacy Standards